Skip to main content
Digital Archive Toronto Public Library Homepage

John Duncan House

Date1964-08
FormatPicture
Notes
John Duncan HouseLot 25, Con. 3 East. Aspenwood Dr. Between Leslie and Woodbine, just south of Steeles. John Duncan house, also called "Aspenwood," where Peter Matthews and several other rebels were captured in 1837 by British soldiers. Built between 1830 and 1835. In 1987 the house was moved from Aspenwood to Duncan Creek Park. It was damaged in a fire on June 27, 1987, and destroyed in a second fire on September 22 of the following year - both suspected to be arson. Though council had scheduled it for demolition, efforts were underway to relocate and restore the house, which was speculated to be the oldest standing house in Toronto.
GeographyCity, town, townshipToronto
GeographyNeighbourhoodHillcrest Village
GeographyProvince stateOntario
GeographyCountryCanada
Dimensions63 x 62 mm
ProvenanceToronto Public Library. North York Central Library. Canadiana Department. Gift of North York Historical Society.
Original Object LocationNorth York Central Library. Society & Recreation department
Usage Rights Copyright (Learn More)
Copyright HolderNorth York Historical Society
Object NumberNYHS00842